Friday, July 4, 2014

im a small town girl

I spent a good chunk of my life in a city, not a huge city, but a European city where the population is concentrated together more than most American cities.  I got really used to public transportation, beggars, and small little neighborhood shops.

I can confirm that I am definitely not a city girl.

I grew up in a suburb, a neighborhood built for people to sleep and eat in and then go to work 15 or 20 minutes away.  It is a beautiful neighborhood, with tall trees and manicured lawns.  I have so many good memories there and it warms my heart to see my kids playing in the same places I did. 

But my heart isn't really in the suburbs.

I am a small town girl.  I love going down the street and naming who I know (or knew) in each house.  I love that my son took horseback lessons from the mayor and if my water pressure is low, my 3rd grade teachers wife is who I call. 


In a world where we are glued to our cell phones, connect with others virtually, and have such struggles with loneliness, there is a deep joy in the web of love that cradles me in this small town. 

Today we are celebrate this nation, and I also celebrate my hometown.

No comments:

Post a Comment